Planning for paving your driveway or commercial property, To get best and long-lasting results it is important to choose an appropriate contractor for the job. Low price quote may look lucrative, but that should not be the only criteria. Hiring a sub-par contractor may cost you heavy afterwards expenses for repair and maintenance. There is much other consideration which should be kept in mind before assigning the job to an asphalt contractors. The best way is to review for options of paving companies in your area on the net. To get the list of licensed contractors and many other updates on construction industry you can visit www.forconstructionpros.com.
Certain steps to be followed before finalizing the contractor are:
1. Do the complete due diligence- Doing a complete check on their credentials, work history, license details, certifications like the one from the interlocking concrete paving institute(ICPI), registration under the local state government is a must. Do they have insurance cover for their equipment and workforce I equally important to limit your legal liability in case of any breakdown or fatal accident on work at your premises?
2. Do they have the right equipment, technology and experienced crew- Asphalt is a very tricky substance to work with. It requires special temperature and fast and special technique in laying down the process. The contractor should have quality equipment to smoothly and evenly laydown the substance, and then the expert crew can control and regulate the paver for evenly spreading of asphalt. The durability of the pavement depends on the right technique used in the process. Therefore, one should ensure that contractor is using most updated technology and has an experienced crew on board.
3. Type and quality of asphalt used: There are many grades of asphalt available in the market with a percentage of recycled asphalt in it. Low-grade asphalt with more of recycled asphalt can affect the appearance and longevity of the paved path. If you are looking for a greener choice, then asphalt with more recycled proportion should be opted for.
4. Should have a basic knowledge of the paving procedure: Having the basic know-how of the procedure involved will place you in a better negotiating position. There are basically two ways of doing the paving job, one by applying the layer of asphalt on the top of the driveway or to tear it from between and redo it completely. Ideally, a contractor should apply at least 2-3 inches of asphalt to increase the durability. A shortcut or improper construction by the contractor can be easily identified by a person with basic knowledge of procedure.
5. Ask for a proper quote and insist on a signing a contract: It is always better to have all terms – functional and financial commitments on paper. One should ask the contractor to put down all his functional specifications regarding the procedure and the cost estimate after surveying the site to ensure that there is no hidden cost which he may claim to a later date. Having a signed contract in hand will save you both in terms of legal and financial responsibility.
Getting a pavement construction work done is cost intensive and time taking. Collaborating with an established paving company is always beneficial from the long-term point of view.